This wonderful chocolate cake recipe has the added perk of a rich toffee sauce drizzled over it. Makes 9 squares. Takes 25 minutes to make and 40 minutes to bake, plus cooling
- 100g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 175g caster sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 100g ground almonds
- 6 tbsp milk
- 100g plain chocolate, melted
- 175g self-raising flour
- 220g jar chocolate toffee sauce (we love Merchant Gourmet’s Dulce de Leche Chocolate Toffee, from major supermarkets
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease a square 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar until very light. Beat the egg yolks and add to the mixture, a little at a time, beating well. Fold in the ground almonds, milk and melted chocolate.
- Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks. Using a large metal spoon, carefully fold a third into the chocolate mixture. Once well mixed, fold in the rest, then fold in the flour. Spoon into the prepared tin, level the surface and bake for 35 minutes.
- Prick the top of the cake all over with a skewer and spoon over the chocolate toffee sauce. Gently spread over the top and return to the oven for 5 minutes. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then slide or lift out. Cut into squares and serve hot or warm with crème fraiche.